A Travellerspoint blog

My first days in Durban!!!

Three days of adventure!!!

July 3rd, 2010
Being jet-lagged, I anticipated not sleeping so well. I crashed and then went in and out of sleep. Right when I thought I was into my deep sleep, a rooster started making its morning call . . . at 5am! Around 11am, we got a knock on the door and four new people showed up into our room. One was our coordinator and the other three were other interns. After that incident my roommate and I decided to wake up. Dressed, full, and ready for the day, we made our way to another intern’s house. One thing I forgot to mention is the music here in Durban. Once we walked into the mall, Katy Perry’s “California Gurls” was playing. Following the other interns, we went to the internet café, checked our mail for 15 minutes and made our way back home.
Thirteen out of the seventeen interns decided to go to the FIFA fan fest in downtown Durban which is conveniently located on the beach. Crammed into three cars, we drove to the fan fest, got beer, souvenirs and watched the Argentina vs. Germany game. Still upset about that one. That was just sad. Anyway, we knew we had to get up in the morning to go to orientation so we got back in the cars and headed home. Once home, we had a nice home-cooked meal with dried porridge and beef. After dinner, with some warm tea in hand, we watched the Spain vs. Paraguay game. The first half was so boring that I almost fell asleep. That was until the very end when Spain made a goal. FINALLY!! Spain is playing against Germany in Durban on July 7th for the semi-final game. Go Spain!

July 4th, 2010
I’m such a bad American. I didn’t realize it was the fourth of July until I asked someone about it. OOPS. We began the day with orientation. After that, all of us (a total of21 people) got into cars and went to lunch at the Pavilion. It is this huge mall about 20 minutes outside of Durban. Google it!!! Lunch took a long time but it was delicious and after wards we went on a tour of the townships. We call them townships but some of the local call them the ghettos. The second largest township in the country is near Durban. It is called Umlazi. It’s so big that there are 30 sections that go from A to Z and all the way to DD. These people live in shacks in the most inconvenient place on the hillside. They also have one water source for a population of 50 people. The other amazing thing is that one man made a park called How Long. This park represented the question to the government which was “How long are we going to suffer?” This man made his own home and a park in this Umlazi Township that everyone can use. This man is inspiring and his name is Michael Fanamangeni. Google him.
After that we visited an orphanage that a couple built by themselves to help orphans in the township. There were about 32 orphans total. The girls were off playing or getting there lessons but the boys were happy to see all of us. they talked to us about their predictions for the world cup. When I wanted to take their picture, they were more than willing.
On the way home, I fell asleep. OOPS. When we got home, we hung out Ndumi (said like do me). Ndumi is the eighteen year old daughter of the family we are staying with. She is also the youngest of the family. We talked and she taught us some Zulu. I now know sawubona means hello and yabonga is thank you.
For the fourth we decided to go to the local bar named Siberia. The beer and alcohol are cheap, and the people are amazing!!! It was a good way to celebrate the fourth!

July 5th, 2010
This morning we had to be ready at 8am and I woke up late and ran out the door with my shoes untied. We first went to the KwaZulu-Natal Medical School to register to work in the hospital. I had to get an id. Let’s just say the picture wasn’t my best one ever.
After that, we headed into Durban and went to see the Moses Mabhido Stadium which was built two years ago for the world cup. It was very impressive. You can even climb up to the top of the arch and go bungee jumping. Next door was the Sunset Casino. We went to gamble, eat lunch and try to get tickets to the Germany v. Spain game on July 7th. The tickets were too much money, but we did eat lunch! We rushed to the city bus tour which was two hours long and went throughout the city. Twenty minutes into the tour I was asleep but woke up again when we at the statue of Dick King who was the defender of the city. We went everywhere and got tons of pictures. We also found Florida Street where all the nice restaurants and clubs are. Tuesday is our first day of work so we’ll see how it goes.

Posted by smtn912 23:12

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents



SIGH. u get to work in med school. jealous.. very much.

by mzkaew

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint