A Travellerspoint blog

The Weekend!

The Oribi Gorge, Florida Road and The World Cup Final

It's been a while since I have kept everyone updated so I am going to try and sum up three days in one entry.

On Friday it was the same old day working in the pediatrics ward. We played with some kids, learned about the spread of TB in HIV patients and did rounds until noon. After lunch we played some more (catch was the preferable game) with about 4 kids. While playing, one of the interns asked me if I wanted to help drain the abscess of one of the TB patients. Terrified, I out in the needle and then the plastic tubing to drain the abscess. It was easy and nothing bad happened so that's all that mattered. Two hundred mL of fluid later, I patched up the patient and decided I was very impressed with myself. I used a needle! WOOHOOO!

Once home, my roommate andIwent to the internet and then rushed home again to meet everyone to go to a surfing competition. The competition is called the Mr. Price Pro and it was on the Balitio beach which is on the north coast of Durban. We drove 45 minutes away from home to discover that the competition was over for the day. Instead, we played around on the beach and I put my toes in the Indian Ocean which is really really warm! After that, we decided to go get dinner at a lovely restaurant on the beach. It's name is called Al Pascatore. It was so delicious! After dinner some of us, not me, decided to go to the Suncoast Casino. Suncoast is a casino near the stadium in Durban. The rest of us decided to stay on the beach and watch the concert. When the concert was over, we decided to go home and try and get some sleep.

The next day all of us decided to go to the Oribi Gorge. It is a lovely nature preserve about an hour and a half south of Durban. The thing is that this gorge has the highest swing in the southern hemisphere. It isn't your typical elementary school swing, it is basically a 100 meter drop into this gorge. I am too afraid of heights to do it. The suspension bridge was enough to terrify me!!! So out 14 of us, three of us didn't go. There is really no way to describe it. I took videos and pictures of everyone who decided to do it. It was a beautiful day and it was entertaining watching them fall down to their doom.

After the swing, we all went to lunch at the leopard rock cafe. This restaurant looked out over a part of the gorge. BEAUTIFUL! It also was next to this rock that looked like pride rock from the Lion King. We did find an orange cat there and decided the he was Simba. After that photo op, we went on the Echo Valley Coffee tour and drank some delicious homegrown coffee. After that it was time to go home.

We all decided to go out that night. We went to Florida street. It is the happening street in the city. It was pretty amazing. We watched the third place game at the Booty Bar. No joke, the Booty Bar. After that, we decided to go to a club. Around two am we decided to go home. . .

The next morning was our sleep in day!! We actually slept in until 10 and then decided to go to the beach. The beach was a good idea until it started to get windy and rainy. With another failure at the beach, we decided to go back to the Suncoast casino so some could gamble and some could watch a movie. I went with the group to watch the movie "I Love you Phillip Morris". I had never heard of it before and it wasn't what I expected either. It is based on a true story. I would explain but just search it. That might give you a better explanation. I did enjoy the movie theater though. It is weird to have assigned seats in the movies.

After the movie we decided to go home, eat a nice Sunday dinner and then go out again to see the World Cup Final. We all went to a bar called Buccaneers which is also right on the beach. The game was long and gruesome. Whoever watched, you know what I mean. I was so happy for Spain when they won but I was disappointed in all the yellow cards that were given. It was more like watching tryouts for actors than a soccer game. Anyway, we were glad that Spain won in that exciting ending. We listened to Waka Waka all the way home and then went straight to sleep so we could get up for work on Monday.

Posted by smtn912 23:26

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint