A Travellerspoint blog

Where to begin . . .

The Wine Lands and Cape Point

The third weekend in Cape Town was an experience I will never forget. That Saturday, we all got up early to go visit a few of the hundreds of wine farms only thirty minutes outside Cape Town. We started at 8:30am and went until 5pm. We were pretty hard core. The first wine farm we went to was named Fairview. Fairview offers wine and cheese tasting for the expensive rate of R35 witch is about . . . 5 dollars, give or take. So we had seven glasses of wine and unaccountable amounts of delicious goat cheese. By the time we left, one out of the seven of us was down but we still made out way to the second wine farm. The second wine farm was FREE wine tasting. That's right, eight free glasses of wine, with some olive oil tasting. After that stop, two out of the seven of us were down and I was fading. We then stopped by Waterford Estate which offered a wine and chocolate tasting. It was also amazing. By that time, I had about twenty plus tastings of wine and was ready for a nap but we weren't done yet. After that, we went to J.C. Le Roux which is a champagne place. We tasted some more wine, about eight, and even got one of the employees to open champagne with a sword! AWESOME! For our last place, we went to Spier which is basically like a wine resort. I was not brave enough to endure another eight glasses of wine so I just ate some lunch. By the time we got home, five out of the seven of us were sleeping in the van. I think Saturday was a success despite being done by 5pm.

On Sunday, we all decided to go to Cape Point. Only one of us was truly babilas (hungover in Afrikaans). Our adventure down the Cape peninsula was beautiful. We made our way down to Simon's Town and Boulder Beach where we saw Penguins. The Penguins were sooooo adorable and I have more pictures than necessary. After that, we drove down to the park entrance to get to the point. On the way, we met some baboons in the road. It was exciting yet terrifying. Once we reached Cape Point, we climbed all the way to the very end. That's right, I climbed all the way to the end of Africa!!! Exploring Cape Point took about an hour due to our trigger happy fingers on our cameras. After we made our way down, we realized that some baboons were making our way to our rental car and before we knew it. . . . a baboon jumped on our car. Terrified, I ran away and waited for the vicious monkey to get off our car. Eventually it did but in the process of getting on the car, the baboon ripped off our license plate. That's right a baboon ripped off our license plate. You don't say that everyday. Once we were safe inside of two-door Corsa Lite, we made our way back home. Due to the previous day, we called it an early night and prepared ourselves for our last week at Eerste River hospital.

Posted by smtn912 11:58

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint