A Travellerspoint blog

Last Week at Eerste River Hospital

Monday was my last on-call day and my first day in the pediatric department. That day we were suppose to go on the mobile clinic but it didn't go out on the fifth Monday of every month so we couldn't go. Instead, we went to surgery and saw the ureathraplasty, Prostectomy and Termination of Pregnancies. We were unable to actually track down the pediatrician until he left for the day. On call that night was pretty busy. We saw a tow year old with menigitis, an eighty-one year old woman with cardia and renal failure who was put on an external pacemaker, a one year old with third degree water burns, a two-year old with acute TB and Devon, a seven year old boy who ran into a pole while getting chips. He had a hole in his head but he still had a smile and the 20rand piece to buy the chips. After Devon left, it was time for sleep. the next morning, we were lucky enough to get a shower in the on-call room and made our way to theater. We had another full day ad saw a hernia repair, a Tb abscess, Lipoma and the removal of a swollen lymphnode. That night, the CEO of the hospital took us out to dinner for about three or four hours, it was very nice. He took us to a wine farm called Asara. Fancy! On Wednesday, I finally made it to the pediatric department. Dr. Stein taught us sooooooo much about pediatrics and the special needs of children and the difficulties of taking care of them when they are sick. I also met some of the cutest kids. One boy, who was two, couldn't stop hugging anyone, he was so sweet. He was being treated for parasitic worms but he went home the next day. After work, we all went to go and get the plates on the rental car fixed since the baboon ripped them off!! Thursday was our last full day in pediatrics. We did rounds and then the clinic. That night, we had our last big group meeting with all seven of us and then we went to karaoke and Abby and I sang Bohemian Rhapsody in front of a bunch of drunk people. Oh Memories! Friday was our last day at Eerste River. We spent most of the day in lecture with the CEO who taught me a lot about examination of a patient. We then spend most of the day in the ER going over other patients in critical conditions. After that, we said our goodbyes to all of the doctors and made out way back home. Later that night, I had to drive Stella to Century City which is basically a mall city. Later, we went out with our host sister to dinner and then made our way to Long street to meet up with the French guys we worked with. Saturday had a mellow beginning. We said goodbye to the three from our group who were leaving. We went to the post office, the market and hung out with the CEO of the hospital. We then had a brie(aka a barbecue) at an friend of my host sisters house. Sunday was even more mellow. We went to lunch at the waterfront and traveled to check out Camps Bay and then went home to rest for our last week in Cape Town.

Posted by smtn912 17:40

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint